Welcome to My Corner of the World



I hope you find humor, inspiration and something worthwhile on this blog. I plan to be as candid as possible. Life is hard. I know, I've overcome a lot (and still have a way to go).
It doesn't help others if the rough things are glossed over.

I will no doubt fill this blog with stories of my achievements as a mom as well as my personal struggles.

I have an incredible husband whom I call "my sanity." I have two great kids with strong personalities. I struggle with anxiety and depression and I have had a colorful childhood.

I also have an addiction to Gilmore Girls, A&W Cream Soda, and Starbucks peppermint mocha.
I have recently added biking to my list of hobbies and also love to read, knit, and play tennis.

Welcome to my little corner of the world!

Friday, February 27, 2015

What's Mine is, Most Certainly, N-O-T His

  Tonight I walked to the sink to get the kids's toothbrushes ready.
  I grabbed a tube of toothpaste and got A's ready.  Then, naturally, I did the same for Bug.
  I was aware that I was taking a Huge risk.  But I chose to live life on the edge.

  You see, earlier in the week Bug's preschool class took a field trip to a dentist's office and the kids got goody bags.  There were extras, so A got one, too.
  They were identical: toothbrush, tiny toothpaste, flossy-stick things, a sand timer.  The only difference: A's toothbrush is purple, Bug's is blue.

  Last night I used each child's tube of toothpaste individually for her/his toothbrush.

  My cardinal sin tonight?  Using A's toothpaste for Both brushes (and, yes, I labeled both tubes of toothpaste and both timers so we Know whose is whose).

  [insert terrified gasp here]

   She wasn't in the room.  It was easier.  I caved to laziness.

  Annnnnd as she was brushing her teeth, she asked if I used Her toothpaste on Bug's brush.

  I took a deep breath before I answered.  Do I lie or tell the truth and face her wrath? [if you think this is a bit dramatic, keep reading to her Her side...]

  I chose to tell the truth.

  A immediately stomped her foot, balled her hands into fists, and shouted (as best she could with a mouth full of toothpaste), "How Could You Do That?!"  Followed by a few more rounds of disgusted "How Could You?"

  I answered honestly: it was easier for me to use one tube of toothpaste (ok, I *may* have mentioned something about being a horrible mother who enjoys making her kids suffer by using The Same tube of toothpaste--complete with dramatic flair--before giving my honest answer...)

  Then I decided to turn this into a great lesson.  I went on to explain that I could have lied to her.  It would have made things Much easier for me.  I wouldn't have had to see her grumpy face, or listen to her angry shouts.  However, knowing all of that, I chose to tell the truth, because that's what mommies and daddies do.  We tell the truth.  We don't lie to our kids.

  She frowned, and went to spit in the sink.

  End of story.

  *Sigh of relief*


No comments:

Post a Comment