Welcome to My Corner of the World



I hope you find humor, inspiration and something worthwhile on this blog. I plan to be as candid as possible. Life is hard. I know, I've overcome a lot (and still have a way to go).
It doesn't help others if the rough things are glossed over.

I will no doubt fill this blog with stories of my achievements as a mom as well as my personal struggles.

I have an incredible husband whom I call "my sanity." I have two great kids with strong personalities. I struggle with anxiety and depression and I have had a colorful childhood.

I also have an addiction to Gilmore Girls, A&W Cream Soda, and Starbucks peppermint mocha.
I have recently added biking to my list of hobbies and also love to read, knit, and play tennis.

Welcome to my little corner of the world!

Sunday, February 8, 2015

She's so Fancy. We already know.

  Anyone who knows A knows that she Loves all things fancy and frilly.  Those people have also begun to learn that A loves the glittery, sparkly, lacy things from a distance.

  On the surface A is the kid one could buy all the cutesy, girly things for.  The inside, however, is another story.
  You see, A loves the idea of being fancy.  She loves clip-on earrings, high heels, hair accessories, and clothes.  The unfortunate thing is that despite how much she loves all that glitters, she just can't handle wearing it.

  Her hair is always in a ponytail because she's uncomfortable with her hair done any other way (including a low ponytail)--not because I'm a lazy mom who couldn't care less about appearances.

  Her hair has little fly-aways because of her beautiful natural curl, but she doesn't wear clippies.  She has a drawer full of colorful hair bows and cute clips, but she doesn't wear them.  Not because they've been forgotten, but because clippies pull and dig into her scalp and hair bows can be itchy, heavy, and get caught in her hair.

  Her closet is full of pretty dresses and cute sweaters, but she always picks the home-made skirts and shirts (sometimes--ok, fine, frequently--the shirts don't match because I have a hard time keeping up with the laundry she deems acceptable to wear).

  She wears socks that are yanked clear up to her knees because she finally found a brand and style she can handle (but knee socks don't come in cute, frilly, lacy styles)--not because they're the current fashion trend.

  She has a 100 pairs of shoes that she loves, but just can't physically wear.  She wears snow boots in the summer and sandals with socks in the fall (she'd wear those year-round, too, but I stopped allowing that a year or so ago).

  She loves to go clothes shopping, but rarely wears anything that is bought brand new.  She likes the feel of things that have already been washed and worn.  Including shoes.  *If* we do get her new shoes (I can't remember the last time we bought her new shoes...all the ones she currently has are either hand-me-downs or consignment/yard sale buys), we buy them a size too big because she can't stand them the slightest bit snug.

  Her eyes light up when she sees shirts with sequins, dresses with some of that can-can material, even dress-up costumes with glitter and sheer sleeves.  But shortly after putting it on, she's frantically tugging it off because it hurts.  There's either a seam, tag, or thread that tickles/pokes/hurts/itches/irritates.

  She loves fancy bedding, but despite the fact that she has some nice sheets, her mattress is currently bare.  Some sheets are too cold, certain blankets aren't soft enough, and the list goes on.

  The silver lining?  She's learning what she likes, what she can handle, why she can't stand some things, and she's developing her own style.

  Perhaps I will design clothes for kiddos like her--tag less, uber soft, affordable, but super cute, girly and fancy....

No comments:

Post a Comment